Friday, June 2, 2017

How it all began

When Mike Romalis and I were researching and writing Make This Town Big: The Story of Roy Turner and the Wichita Wings, we would often comment on how we wished our readers could SEE the events we were writing about. After all, this was the oh-so-flashy 1980s, when even the hair was big and bold. Alas, we didn't have the budget for a full-color book with fold-out pictures of Andy Chapman's leather pants. But we did joke about making a Wings movie. Now, it's no joke.

Last fall, my brother Brendan invited me to attend the world premiere of a documentary film made by the local journalist Adam Knapp. That film, Out Here in Kansas, was being unveiled to the public at Roxy's Downtown, one of Wichita's most stylish theaters. At the end of the screening, as I joined the packed house in loud applause, I wasn't just thinking about the emotional storytelling or the fine technical craftsmanship of the filmmakers...I was thinking about the story of the Wichita Wings.

I was able to meet Adam that evening, though only briefly. I'm pretty sure the first words out of my mouth were, "Hey, your next film should be the story of the Wichita Wings." I smiled as I said it. I probably laughed too. But it wasn't a joke. I meant it. For the first time, it became possible to imagine the Wings on the big screen. Luckily for all the Wings-lovers out there, Adam began to imagine it as well. It's no surprise. The story of the Wichita Wings is a story of the people of Wichita coming together for something special. Great films are about compelling human stories and the tale of the Wings is full of them.

Once Adam and his team of filmmakers (co-director Kenneth Linn and producer Jon Pic) agreed that they wanted to make this documentary film, we sat down with Roy Turner and Mike Romalis and had our first conversation about Adam's vision for the movie. Since that wonderful day, I've had zero doubt in my mind that this story, that means so much to so many of us, is in the right hands. Adam and I look forward to keeping you all up to date on the progress of the film by posting regularly on this blog. Like you, I can't wait for the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment