Sunday, June 25, 2017

How a dog almost ruined our shoot

When we were trying to secure a location to interview Wichita Wings legend Kevin Kewley, he suggested the home of his friend and former coach, Roy Turner. It's a nice pad with a beautiful background on the east side. Perfect, right?
What we didn't realize was Roy had a dog. I don't know what kind of dog it was, or how old it was. I don't even know if the dog was a boy or a girl. What I did know was that dog really wanted Kevin's attention while we were trying to interview him.
We tried putting the dog outside, and in other rooms, but the dog was having none of it.
While this was happening, Roy was not on the set. Fortunately, Mike Carpenter was. Mike was visiting from his home in Denver, where he went to film school with co-director Kenneth Linn, and was helping us with the shoot that night.
The dog decided it would be acceptable to receive off-screen attention from Mike, who was able to pet the creature while manning the sound and the main camera. Crisis averted.
(I should note that diverting the dog's attention would have been a perfect job for producer Tim O'Bryhim. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell him about the shoot. I have a feeling I'm going to hear about that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment