Thursday, June 8, 2017

Local author and...music video producer??

Has your life ever taken an unexpected turn? Did you ever start walking down one path and find yourself on another? Have you ever unexpectedly helped make a music video about the Wichita Wings? Most of you might be able to answer "yes" to two of these three questions. But it's the third that I didn't really see coming.


One of the joys of working with a group of creative filmmakers is that they can take relatively mundane parts of a book and turn them into something you'd never imagine. And I definitely didn't imagine this. But when Adam Knapp, Jon Pic, and Kenny Linn told me their idea for this shoot, I immediately loved it. I can't really go into details because we'd like for this to be a surprise, but I can tell you it will be '80s-rific and will involve one of your favorite all-time Wings stars. 

The shoot itself was loads of fun. We had the help of a bunch of talented young ladies who made it all pretty easy on us. I'm not exactly Martin Scorsese, so I stayed well away from the cameras. But the guys that are actually shooting this movie have a gift for this sort of thing. It was an awful lot of fun to watch them work their magic. A great hair and make-up team transformed these actresses into something you'll all recognize...a blast from the past. My role? Look, I am pretty darn good at bringing snacks...and helping find talent...and answering Wings-related questions. Also, I can pick up a pizza like a BOSS.

Not every documentary film includes a music video. But this isn't your normal documentary. The Wichita Wings were an extraordinary phenomenon, and they deserve an extraordinary film. Hopefully, that's what we'll deliver.

More to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment